Saturday, May 16, 2015

Boo! Two new short scary stories


The Audition

The room was a large, open, unfinished loft. In the middle of the space, a nervous Kyle Evers sat in a folding chair holding a script. Several feet away, movie director Eve Tolbertson sat behind a picnic table, a script lying on it in front of her.

“Thanks for coming down, Kyle. I know actors hate cold readings, but it is what it is.”

“Oh, no problem.”

“Great. Okay, let me set up the scene. Your character Jerry is your age and height. He’s a bartender at a club downtown and…. What’s wrong?”

“Nothing, it’s just that I’m a bartender downtown.”

“Okay. So Jerry’s goal is to be an actor, but it’s been tough and he’s only found work as an extra. Then an audition for a film pops up that he’s very excited about.”

“Look, I’m really sorry to interrupt, but you’re describing my life…exactly my life. How can that be?”

Eve took off her glasses and set them on the script. “I hope not, because Jerry finds out that his girlfriend Anna is cheating on him and he stabs her to death with a butcher knife.”

“Shut the fuck up. My girlfriend’s name is…” His phone rang and he checked the caller ID. “I’m really sorry but I have to take this.” He put the phone to his ear. “Jean, what is it?”

“Oh my god, Kyle. Something horrible has happened to Anna…”


I Remember

I remember everything about that night. There was a squeaky gate in the picket fence surrounding the house. I remember there was no moon that night, just like tonight, and the air was chilly and damp. We went to the back door and into the kitchen and there was a chemical, hospital-like smell that enveloped us.

The door to the basement was just off of the kitchen, and the stairs going down were old and noisy.  I remember being laid on a cold hard table and the sounds of metal things clinking together. The light over me was bright and I couldn’t look at it very long.  Something was wheeled up next to me. Then his piggish, sweaty face suddenly hovered over mine, and his eyes were wide with excitement and he grinned at the moment I felt the pressure of the blade on my arm.  Then, all I remember was searing pain and screaming. Waves of pain and screaming.

As I make my way quietly down the hallway, a grandfather clock chimes three times, and I remember hearing that sound from the basement as my energy dissipated and death overtook me.

Now in his bedroom, I watch as he snores and his fat body rises and falls to the grating noise. Tonight, I’m going to help him remember me.

No comments:

Post a Comment